Combine the results from multiple zones
Multiple zones can be mapped to a single subfield, and as a result, it is possible to combine multiple zones in a single field.
This technique is commonly used when combining multiple fields containing separator characters that are likely to be misread, such as a number like 123-456-7890. Using this feature, you can extract "123," "456," and "7890" with separate zones, combining them in a single subfield with the - character as the delimiter.
You can combine the results from multiple zones in a single field by following these steps:
- Open the locator properties.
- Click the Subfields tab.
A new subfield is added with an editable name.
Type a descriptive name for the newly added subfield.
"SF_<Field Name>_Combined" so that it is clear that this subfield contains the combined result from multiple fields.Give this subfield a name such as
The subfield name is updated.
- In the Subfield Definition list, select the newly added subfield.
- Select All in the Result list.
- Optionally, in the Delimiter column, type a value to separate the multiple results with a delimiter character.
- Map the zones to combine to this subfield.
- Delete any redundant subfields.
- Click Close to close the locator properties window.
- Save the changes to your project.