Determine the optimized threshold for handwritten text
If you are processing documents that contain mainly handwritten text for a class, it is a good idea to optimize the recognition profile for this content type.
You can optimize the threshold for handwritten text by following these steps:
- Add a Mixed Print page recognition profile.
- Open the Documents window if it is not already open.
- If a different view is in use, switch to the List view .
Add a document set that contains documents with hand written text.
A document set is added to the list of document sets and expands automatically.
Select the document subset that contains the desired test documents.
A list of documents is displayed in the List view.
- On the shortcut menu for one of the test documents select Recognize.
- From the submenu, select the defined Mixed Print page profile from the list.
Documents window toolbar, click
Save Selected Items.
This saves the recognition results to the selected documents.
Right-click the selected document, and then click
The XDoc Browser opens and the XValues object displays the percentage value of the hand printed area on the selected document as follows: PercentageHP_Page<ZeroBased-PageNr>:<percentage 0-100>.
- Take note of this percentage value.
- Repeat these steps using a document that represents the documents with machine printed text.
- Evaluate the threshold for hand written text using the noted results. For the best results, take an average of the results.
- Edit the page recognizer properties by using the slider or typing in the value to optimize the threshold.