Create a business rule
Create new business rules just as you create business process maps, except that, for a business rule you define the inputs and outputs. A business rule can only contain automatic activities.
Once a rule is created, you can save the rule in an unreleased (work in progress) state so that it can be modified later. However, you must release the business rule before using the rule in a process or form.
- Navigate to .
A new business rule opens in a new tab.
- Complete the properties for the rule. See Properties of a business rule.
Create variables for the business rule, and set the variables as rule inputs and outputs.
A business rule supports dynamic complex variables as input. These input variables can hold the data from a table field within a document for validation, such as in creating a running total for a column.
On the modeling bar of business rule, click
Variables and click
The New variable dialog box is displayed.
- Enter a Name for the variable.
- Select the variable Type.
- To set the variable as input, select Input.
- To set the variable as output, select Output.
- Provide a Value for the variable.
- Click OK.
- On the modeling bar of business rule, click Variables and click New.
To set the order in which
should process the input and output variables, perform the following steps:
- Click the Input/Output order link on the Variables page. The Input/Output variables dialog box is displayed.
- Select the Input or Output tab, and use or to set the order.
- Click OK.
Add activities, decision nodes and an end node.
A business rule only supports automatic activities (except Export and Transfer); it does not support manual activities.
- Release the rule.