Interpret XML invoices
When the job starts, Kofax ReadSoft Invoices first checks the database to see if there are XML invoice definitions that have been optimized. Invoices associated with these are reinterpreted first.
After Collector receives and processes XML invoices, those invoices are ready to be interpreted. Interpreting XML invoices consists of:
- Importing invoice data.
Strictly speaking, interpretation of invoice data—in the way that paper or image invoices are interpreted—does not occur with XML invoices. The Interpret module imports the data directly into the database. However, you must still run an Interpret job with the appropriate settings. See "Configure the Interpret job to process XML invoices" in Collector help for more information.
- Invoice sorting.
The Interpret module uses the same method of sorting invoices as with other invoices.
- Invoice classification.
When XML invoices are received by email, you must use the <SYSTEM> invoice profile to differentiate between general expense (GE) and purchase order (PO) invoices. (This applies to all invoices, not just XML ones.)
The invoices are converted to SMXL so that Kofax ReadSoft Invoices can recognize them and a PDF image is created. After an XML invoice is interpreted, by default the original file, with the SMXL version and the PDF file, is moved to the folder that was specified in the Collector job. What happens next depends on whether the supplier matches one that is already in the Collector and Kofax ReadSoft Invoices databases.
The flow of XML invoices in Interpret together with Collector
When the Interpret job starts, it checks the Kofax ReadSoft Invoices database for invoices from invoice definitions that have been optimized. Those have priority and are re-interpreted first. See 1 in the flow chart.
If available, Collector then begins retrieving new XML invoices (see 2 in the flowchart). How files are processed depends on the format and whether or not the supplier is known (see 3 in the flowchart).
- Files that are not in a
supported XML format are automatically sent
to Optimize where the invoice definition can be optimized and saved.
- If the supplier is known
(that is, it matches a supplier in the
database and is found in
Kofax ReadSoft Invoices'
master data, if used), it is interpreted and sent to Verify. The original file,
the SXML version, and the corresponding PDF are all saved in the identified
folder specified in the job.
- If it is found to be correct, it can be approved and sent to Transfer.
- If it is not found to be correct, it can be saved to Optimize for optimization.
- However, if the supplier
is known to
but is not found in
Kofax ReadSoft Invoices'
master data, the invoice is marked as unidentified and must be fixed and
- If the supplier is unknown to Collector, the invoice definition is automatically sent to Optimize and marked with status 99 for easy recognition when the invoice definition is optimized. However, invoices from unknown suppliers can be displayed in Verify anyway (that is, not automatically sent to Optimize) if desired.
- Any invoices that are associated with the invoice definition are blocked in the job and given Scanned status. They will be reinterpreted once the invoice definition has been optimized.
- The invoice definition is optimized and any invoices associated with it are reinterpreted.