Troubleshoot Windows services
- The service will not start.
Start the module (Interpret or Transfer) from the Start menu to check for problems. If the module fails to load an add-on, for example, it exits immediately and reports the event in the Windows Event Log. Check that log to see if an error has been reported.
Check the Kofax ReadSoft Invoices logs to see if an error was reported.
Check the service and event logs for additional information.
Check the following:
- Ensure that an old eilocal.ini file was not used to run Kofax ReadSoft Invoices. Updated [ServiceInterpret] and [ServiceTransfer] sections must be included for the services to run.
- Make sure the ImagePath value in Windows registry specifies the correct path to the module's EXE file. The path to the ImagePath value is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ Kofax ReadSoft Invoices module\
- Ensure the Programs setting in the [Directories] section of Eilocal.ini points to the correct location. Also make sure this setting does not end with a backslash (\).
- By default, the service
runs using the Local System account. However, services can be configured to log
on to special user accounts. Try to start the service using the user account
that was used to install
Kofax ReadSoft Invoices.
- Select Start menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
- Locate and double-click the Kofax ReadSoft Invoices Interpret or Kofax ReadSoft Invoices Transfer service.
- Select the Log on tab.
- Select This account and specify the account and password that were used when Kofax ReadSoft Invoices was installed. (This assigns a logon account to the service, giving it the same permissions as the user.)
- Click Apply.
- In some cases, the
service may not restart because the
Kofax ReadSoft Invoices
license is still locked by
FLEXlm. In order to release the
license automatically, add the following
TIMEOUT entries to the
FLEXlm options file,
TIMEOUT EIITRP 900 TIMEOUT EITRAN 900
This will release the license after 15 minutes of inactivity.
For more information about the options file, google FLEXlm End Users Guide.
- The service crashes when it
Make sure the Windows Event Log service is running before you start the service.
- Interpret will not stop.
This can occur when the module displays a dialog, which is invisible because Interpret is running as a service. To solve the problem:
- Display Windows' Services dialog (Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services).
- Right-click the service in question and select Properties.
- Click the Log On tab and select Allow service to interact with desktop.
- Run the service again. Now if Interpret displays a dialog, it is visible, and you can address the problem.
- Error 1053: The service does
not respond promptly to the start or control request.
- If you cannot stop the service, end the process using Task Manager (eiitrp.exe for Interpret or eitran.exe for Transfer).
- If a process is running
in the local system account, you can open the Task Manager by typing the
following in the command line:
at time+2min /interactive
at 11:32 /interactive taskmgr
- Note that the same domain account with necessary privileges must be used to set up services on all computers in the network where instances of Interpret or Transfer are run as services.
- Ensure that the Windows firewall is configured to allow services to be started remotely on all computers where Interpret or Transfer instances are to run.
- How much information is provided in the event log can be adjusted using EventLoggingLevel in both [ServiceInterpret] and [ServiceTransfer] sections in eilocal.ini (see INI file help for more information).