Start and stop Windows services
Use Interpret or Transfer as Windows services
Use this procedure to enable and start or stop the use of Interpret or Transfer as Windows services as one of the steps to automate Interpret and Transfer.
Note that to use Kofax ReadSoft Invoices services, in addition to the procedure below, Interpret and Transfer instances need to be created and enabled for use as services, and service jobs must be configured and enabled for each instance.
Two Windows services are created for Kofax ReadSoft Invoices when it is installed:
- INVOICES PM service - To enable the use of Interpret and Transfer instances as Windows services, this service needs to be configured for the computer on which the Manager module is installed and the services are configured. If the Manager module is installed on any other computer, the service will also be available there, but turning it on will not have any effect.
- INVOICES PM Client service - This service must be enabled on every computer on which Interpret or Transfer services are to run.
Configure the INVOICES PM services user account with sufficient privileges to run Kofax ReadSoft Invoices services
By default, the Local System account is used for Interpret and Transfer services. However, this account does not have the necessary privileges to connect to the other computers in your Kofax ReadSoft Invoices installation (such as the one where your scanned images are stored).
Before Kofax ReadSoft Invoices services can be enabled, they must be configured with an administrator account that has domain administrative privileges on all of the computers in the system where services are configured and run.
To start the use of Interpret or Transfer instances as Windows services:
- On the computer where the Kofax ReadSoft Invoices services are to be configured, open the Control Panel, click System & Security > Administrative Tools, and double-click Services to change the Windows account for the service (network installations only).
- In the Services dialog, navigate to and right-click INVOICES PMService, and click Properties.
- On the Log On tab, click This account and enter the relevant administrator account information.
- If you set the service up to start automatically, be sure to use Automatic (Delayed start) as the Startup type on the General tab of the service's properties dialog to ensure there is enough time for Windows to provide access to necessary files and folders before the service starts.
Keep the following in mind when setting up the service:
- Access to the services using remote start must be allowed through the Windows firewall on each computer in the network where the services are used.
- Updated [ServicesInterpret] and [ServicesTransfer] sections must be included in the eilocal.ini file installed on each computer in the network where Interpret or Transfer instances are used as services. The services will not work if an older version of eilocal.ini is used.
When using services, specify UNC (Universal Naming Convention) paths in Eilocal.ini, like this:
[Directory] GlobalPath=\\Sth-test\Program Files\ReadSoft\INVOICES
With some of the newer operating systems, the computer's IP address cannot be used. In these cases, only the host name is usable.
Configure Kofax ReadSoft Invoices PM Client services
The same domain administrative account needs to be configured for INVOICES PM Client services, in the same way as is described above for INVOICES PM service, on each computer where Interpret or Transfer instances are to be used as services.
Start or stop Kofax ReadSoft Invoices services
To start or stop Kofax ReadSoft Invoices services, in Manager, click Administration > Services > Start service or Stop service.
It is not enough to start the service to be able to use Interpret and Transfer as services. Instances of Interpret and Transfer need to be configured and enabled for use as services, and service jobs need to be configured and enabled for each instance.
Note that it may be necessary to run the Manager module using Run as administrator.