Search and redact text
Power PDF Advanced lets you search and redact specific words or phrases from an open PDF document, selected documents in a Portfolio, an entire PDF package or Portfolio, or in all PDF documents found in a specified folder or subfolder.
The program allows four search types as the basis for redacting:
Search a single word or phrase.
Search multiple words or phrases.
Search by pre-defined patterns.
Search by custom written patterns (arbitrary masks).
See Search dialog box.
When performing a folder search additional criteria can be specified by clicking the Advanced button and clicking on cells in the columns Key, Operation and Value. For instance:
[Keyword] [includes] ['Kofax'] [Author] [includes] ['George Washington']
For detailed steps, see the following topics:
Search and mark text for redaction in one or more PDF documents
- Select Search and Redact at SecurityRedaction.
- In the Look In field, specify whether to search in the current PDF, multiple PDFs within a package, an entire PDF package or Portfolio, or all PDF files in a specified folder. Click Browse in the top-level folder list to specify a sub-folder.
- Select a search type: single word or phrase, multiple words or phrases, pattern or mask. See Search dialog box.
Depending in your choice above, proceed with the corresponding action:
To search a single word or phrase, enter any words, word fragments, or phrases of interest.
To search multiple words or phrases, click Select Words and compile a search list.
To search by pattern, select the desired pattern from the drop-down list.
To search by custom-defined pattern, enter the pattern using the syntax shown.
- Set the necessary search filters such as Match Case, Match whole word only, Include comments, Include Bookmarks and more. For a single-word search these options are in the main panel, for multi-word searches, they are in the dialog box called by Select Words. These are not available for pattern and mask searches.
- Click Search and Redact.
- Check the search result list. To refine your search, click New Search and modify search filters appropriately.
- In the search result list, check all items you want to mark for redaction. If you want to mark all items, click Select All.
- Click Mark Selected Results for Redaction. All checked search results will then be marked for pending redaction.
You need to apply redaction to marked items to finalize the process. See Apply redaction to marked items for details.
Apply redaction to marked items
You need to mark items for redaction first. See Search and mark text for redaction in one or more PDF documents for details.
Apply Redaction at
This will permanently and unrecoverably render unreadable all texts and areas marked for redaction – both as a result of a search and manual selection.You can also apply redaction in the document itself by right-clicking each individual redaction mark.
- The Apply dialog box repeats the warning that redaction cannot be undone. Click Apply to confirm and perform redaction.
The topic Redacting Content explains how to redact text and images by selection and also shows the appearance of marked and redacted text.